Free Family Games
For assistance with any Big Fish Games title please visit their Support Center
Help and Support
Issues concerning Windows computer games
Are these games compatible with Vista?
Offline problems and General Troubleshooting
My game is too slow
Offline problems and General Troubleshooting
Here are the easiest ways to correct any issues with your game:
Reset to defaults: This is the quickest and easiest way to fix those random little problems that arise. Just click the Menu button at the bottom of your game screen, and select Settings. There's an option in the Settings menu that's called Reset to Defaults. This will reset any changes you have made to game rules, art, etc. (but not your player stats) and often fixes any corrupt or out-of-whack settings.
Clean reinstall: If resetting to defaults doesn't solve your problem, you'll need to get rid of the messed up game and replace it with a working one. Here's how:
- From your Control Panel (there should be an icon for this on your desktop and/or in your Start menu), select Add or Remove Programs.
- Find your game in the list of programs that appears (it should be called 100% Free [Game]) and click on it.
- Select Remove (or Change/Remove) to completely remove the game from your computer.
- After the game has been uninstalled, you can visit our Download page at http://www.dqfree.com/ to get a fresh, working game installed on your computer.
Windows Registry Cleaner: If your game is giving you an error message saying that your information appears to be missing or altered in the registry, or if the clean reinstall didn't solve your problem, here's what to do:
- Remove the game from your computer by following steps 1-3 above.
- Open up My Computer (there should be an icon for this on your desktop and/or in your Start menu) and select the C: drive. Then select Program Files. Look for a folder in Program Files called DreamQuest. If you see the folder, delete it by right-clicking on it and selecting delete.
- Download our registry cleaner by clicking the link or typing http://www.dqzone.com/dqcleanreg.exe into your browser.
- When the registry cleaner is downloaded, open it up and click "Clean and Delete." It should take less than a minute to remove the game information from your registry.
- Follow step 4 above to download a working game onto your computer.
Sending a bug report: If none of the preceding options solved your problem, you may have discovered a bug within the game. If you think you've found a problem with our game, we want to know about it! Please send us a bug report so we can effectively diagnose the problem. Sending a bug report is easy! Here's how to do it.
Game too slow
I apologize for the slow play you're experiencing. The easiest way to help this is to click the Menu button at the bottom of your screen, select Settings, and then click Art Settings. From this menu, you can increase or decrease the Animation Speed.
Here are some other options which may help increase the speed and smoothness of gameplay, especially on older systems:
- Confirm that you do indeed have the latest version of your game by using "Check for newer release" on the game's Help or File menu.
- Consider upgrading your video card drivers. This may take a little research, but your games will likely run much better after you upgrade.
- Consider sizing your window smaller. The scaled graphical drawing on older video drivers can be slow, especially at high resolutions.
- Try doing a "Reset to defaults" on the Settings or Options menu.
- Switch to 16-bit resolution. True color (24-bit and 32-bit) modes are often quite a bit slower on some graphics cards and older video drivers. Do this by right-clicking on your desktop and choosing Properties and then the Settings tab.
- Disable graphical hardware acceleration. Older graphics cards sometimes have buggy or slow hardware acceleration. Do this by right-clicking on your desktop and choosing Properties and then the Settings tab and then the Advanced button and slide the slider down one notch from 'Full' and click OK.
- Consider disabling some of the visual options under the Art Settings menu. Some video drivers make the card highlighting and 'shadows' options especially slow.
- Verify that your temp directory is empty (usually C:\TEMP or C:\WINDOWS\TEMP). If it is not, remove the files from it. Also, make sure your hard drive has a few megabytes of disk space left.
- Make sure your disk is not too fragmented. Try running a disk optimizer/defragmenter such as Norton Speed Disk or Microsoft Defrag. If your system is several months old and you have never defragmented the disk, you will see noticeable slowdowns in fast-paced programs such as this.
Our current games are competely Vista-compatible. However, games purchased before December 8, 2006 were not designed to be compatible with Vista as it was not yet released at the time of development. If you have one of these older games and wish to play on a Vista computer, you can simply purchase the Vista-compatible All-Star expansion pack. Please visit our All-Star page to learn more about the expansion packs, including pricing and ordering information.
Don't see the answer to your question? Please contact DreamQuest Software.